Sunday, April 05, 2009

Creepy stalkers are creepy, not romantic

Last night mom took Martina for the night. Shawn and I had everyone over and Kate decided she wanted a movie. Nate was late and we figured he was home sitting in front of his laptop or talking to Snowy so Kate left him a message to come over and pick up a movie. We didn't feel like watching anything in particular so she told him to just grab something.

He came over with Twilight. (For our play by play thoughts on the movie click on our Myspace page link below to the right and then go to the blog named, "Never send a masochist to do a hedonist's job.")

The main character, Bella, is a complete moron. It becomes fairly obvious fairly quickly that Edward, the teen vampire super hunk, is not quite right. Even when she realizes he's a vampire she should still think that some of the things he does are creepy, but she doesn't.

When people are arriving to school he'll stand by his car and just stare at her. He says things like, "I feel like I have to protect you." She goes out shopping with friends and when guys start harassing her he'll suddenly show up out of nowhere and save her and then as they're driving off say, "talk to me. It'll distract me from wanting to go back and rip their heads off!" She'll wake up in the night and see him standing in her room watching her sleep. And the real sketchy one. He says, "I don't think I have the strength to stay away from you." She replies, "then don't."

This is all before it's been made clear he's a vampire. Things only get weirder after the big reveal.

I haven't read the books, maybe me, Alice, or Kate can take a page from Nate's playbook and hate ourselves enough to do that. I can only imagine how weird the books are. It's a fantasy I know, but I can't imagine what kind of damage it does to teen girls minds. Having a stalker vampire, or any boy for that matter, telling you he doesn't have the strength to stay away from you is creepy. Not romantic.

1 comment:

Hipster said...

That sounds pretty terrible.
I want to watch it!