Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Training, The Prayers, The Fight Club?


Out here we're starting the training of the next generation of Caravaners. I've got Ben and his friend Max, Nine Tails and Maximum respectively, slowly learning how to develop and perform bits, how to be Caravan cool, and of course to up hold the standards and practices of all the is Caravan.

However, I hit a road block. I was explaining something and I said, "But that's like talking about Fight Club, it's just not done." They then asked what Fight Club was and why it was bad to talk about it. It hit me that they haven't seen Fight Club and that as ten year olds perhaps they shouldn't see Fight Club.

But I want to sit down and watch Fight Club with them! That movie is beyond awesome and we all saw what it did for Nate. It gives us so much and asks for so little in return. It would be wrong to withhold such a film from them simply because they're too young.

My question, should I rent Fight Club and watch it with them or should I try to explain the concepts in the movie without the violent visual aides? It's not that bad is it? We watched far worse when we were younger than them didn't we? I can't think of anything right now, but I must have. Well?

4 comments:

Defalco said...

Yes, it did do wonders for me, but that's merely because it's what I needed at the time. I was in a place back then when someone or something telling me to be more self reliant and stronger was exactly what I needed.
It worked out so well because it was right message at exact right time. I had a context to set it to and was able to easily apply it.
I'm betting the boys don't really have much of a context to put it to. Sure, it's an awesome movie on it's own, but without the proper maturity, context, or setup all they're going to take away is that crazy people with imaginary friends like beating people up.
If you do watch it with them just tell them it's a cool movie you really like. Try not to hype it as a life changing experience. They're ten. Chances are they can have life changing experiences on their own sooner or later.

Dragonrane said...

Have you talked about this with their parents? They might want to have some say in this.

Raven said...

Steve and mom don't like it. Why he thinks they'd say yes is beyond me. 9 o'clock is bed time the tv goes off at 7.
My moron brother never had a chance.

Mr.222 said...

I'm with Nate on this. They're young enough that they can find their own experiences to shape them without having to force on them the things that shaped us.
They can have their own traumatic events. No idea to show them ours.